Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Politics

Obama finally won.  This was the best choice, but as I watched what little bit of mind rot I could handle, I couldn't help but notice something.  Proposition 8 was ahead in the polls.  In case you didn't know, proposition 8 deals with the banning of gay marriage.  I know its silly of me to clarify things like this when we have such a well informed mass.  But I will do it anyway.  While viewing this garbage my uncle asked me how i felt about proposition 8.  Me, knowing that my uncle is a homophobe.  As well as him being too much of a yuck-head to ever allow himself to think.  Decided it was best to try and change subject.  Him being a drunkard and unable to comprehend words over 3 syllables, I felt the best course of action was avoidance.  However, he insisted.  Ordinarily, I would just say "I don't know" or agree with him to avoid the conversation but this time I deviated. 

I told him Prop 8 was a bunch of bullshit and if you're for it, you are probably some kind of ignorant yuckface.  He replies with "Whatever, if you are an adult and you want to be gay go for it but don't preach it to my kids."  In response I said, "Are you kidding me?  Like someone is going to turn 18 and be like 'hey I think I do like dick-in-butt after all'.  And preach?  Who the fuck is going to preach to kids about being gay?  Do you honestly think that schools are going to stray from arithmetic and reading to teach kids the perks of wiener on wiener action or what i like to call 'fencing'.  Do you really want your kids to be oblivious to what 'gay' is when they are older?  Do you want them to be oblivious to what's really happening in the world?  So when they grow up they won't understand what it is?  So when they are confronted with it they can react violently or fearfully in response to what they don't understand like society does?"  There is so much else I could have said or wanted to say but I changed the subject.  I didn't want to argue with him.  I didn't want to prove my intellectual superiority.  I guess I wanted to make a point?  At no point did any thoughts behind my motivation ever really come to mind.  So I am not entirely sure.  I have always kind of done this thing where I will sway people in one direction or keep them from another but I won't finish.  I don't know why.  I think I want them to have a lot of information.  Not enough to persuade them one way or another but enough to get them to at least think about it from both perspectives.  From there they can make a decision based off of something slightly more substantial than "gut" feeling.  To make it a habit to not be a blimy fuckterd.  

My other uncle just got home and its his birthday.  So I'm going to get off for a bit and probably give him some form of loving.  Probably in the form of; going on a carbonated beverage run so he can concoct some kind of intoxication inducing potion... or a high-five.  I think I'll end up going with the latter.

No comments: